The Carpenter reports to the General Superintendent (GS) for assignments and review and then to the job Superintendent for daily direction. This position requires attention to detail and the ability to follow instructions, take initiative and coordinate field forces in an effort to accomplish all daily and overall project goals. The carpenter is expected to take ownership of each project and task to which he is assigned and to lead through hands on example.
Duties: ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, including but not limited to
- Responsible for the full range of rough and finished carpentry work, including concrete form work, metal stud framing and trim carpentry; as well as setting/installing door frames and hardware, installation of accessories, basic drywall and acoustical ceiling work.
- Clean, maintain, adjust, calibrate and service equipment used in the performance of duties.
- Receive, stage and store materials on site.
- Daily clean up of associated work areas.
- May train and direct the work of other personnel assigned to assist.
- Be a self starter capable of performing in a fast paced, hands on work environment.
- Comply with all OSHA and company safety requirements.
Serve as safety leader for assigned projects and set an example for other jobsite personnel, subcontractors, vendors, and visitors.
- Enforce OSHA and company safety requirements and guidelines for all personnel, subcontractors, vendors, and visitors.
Qualifications: KNOWLEDGE, SKILL and ABILITIES
- Completed OSHA 10 training (minimum)
- Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds.
- Possess a positive team attitude.
- Read and understand Project Plans and Divisional Specifications to design, build, remodel, retrofit, maintain and repair various
- Be able to schedule and perform multiple tasks.
- Coordinate deliveries and verify materials with project specific approved submittals.
- Possess problem solving skills.
- Work conditions vary significantly depending on the nature of the project the labor foreman is supervising. He may work indoors or outdoors, and may be required to work in inclement weather. Projects may cover multiple locations and he is required to travel to each job site to check on the work in progress. The work hours may be long or irregular based on the type of work and project deadlines.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required to be a carpenter. As knowledge gained through previous work and supervisory positions are desirable, a minimum of 5 years experience in a similar capacity is required.
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.