The Superintendent is primarily responsible for the daily management of a specific project site and all personnel working at the site. This position also requires being involved in a cooperative role with the Project Manager to maintain or improve upon the project goals in regard to safety, schedule, adherence to specifications and profitability. In the current organizational structure, the Superintendent reports to either a Senior Superintendent assigned by the General Superintendent or directly to the General Superintendent. The Superintendent position requires a solid, experienced leader who is bought into and driven by the existing principles and procedures set in place by the Company. Required qualifications include a minimum of five (5) years of construction industry experience in a lead or supervisory role, successful completion of an OSHA 30 – hour Construction Safety Class, and the desire to be promoted upon growth and expansion of the Company. The Superintendent is a position that must have the ability to coordinate with managers, directors, and project level positions within the company in order to optimize the success of the project and ultimately achieve the business plan of the company. This role is typically defined as having the ability to lead in constructing up to $5 million project whether renovation or ground up type construction.
Duties: ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, including but not limited to:
- Manage the daily on-site field operations, including management of on-site personnel, for assigned projects.
- Schedule and coordinate all field forces for assigned projects in accordance with current project schedule.
- Schedule periodic job progress meetings (to include all subcontractor/vendor field personnel scheduled to start work in the near term) to track project schedule and coordinate work details before their work begins.
- Keep an organized list of project contacts.
- Receive, stage, and store materials on the jobsite.
- Track, record, and submit field employee timesheets to human resources on a weekly basis.
- Record and submit daily reports to project manager on a weekly basis.
- Approve and keep records of all delivery tickets and submit to Project Manager on a weekly basis.
- Keep organized files of all pertinent shop drawings and other submittals at the jobsite.
- Read and understand purchase orders and subcontracts for assigned projects.
- Maintain updated copy of record contract drawings and specifications in an organized manner at the jobsite.
- File, incorporate, and communicate all RFI responses and site instructions. Incorporate into record contract drawings and specifications.
- Review and approve labor reports for assigned projects (coding accurate personnel and quantities to appropriate job cost codes).
- Document pertinent construction stages with digital photos, especially areas that are covered from view as construction progresses.
- Monitor, ensure, and enforce the quality of the work in accordance with the contract documents with the MBC QAQC Program.
- Comply with all OSHA and company safety requirements.
- Serve as safety leader for assigned projects and set an example for other jobsite personnel, subcontractors, vendors, and visitors.
- Enforce OSHA and company safety requirements and guidelines for all personnel, subcontractors, vendors, and visitors.
- Request, organize, and manage Material Safety Data Sheet paperwork.
- Define, post, and communicate jobsite emergency plan. Understand fully what procedures to follow in the event of an accident or death.
- Post required safety information at the jobsite.
- Schedule, organize, and lead weekly (or more frequently, if needed) safety “toolbox” meetings. Document attendees and meeting content for project files.
- Participate in “due diligence” project handoff meeting between DCS, Project Manager, General Superintendent, Superintendent, and Estimator.
- Work with project manager to draft project business plan.
- Work with project manager to draft overall project schedule.
- Work with project manager to draft final job report.
- Work with project manager to ensure all project expenditures are within budget.
- Work with project manager to coordinate timely delivery of materials to the jobsite.
- Work with project manager to draft monthly project financial projections.
- Completed OSHA 30 training (minimum)
- Possess a positive team attitude
- Be able to read and interpret construction plans and specifications
- Be able to schedule and perform multiple tasks
- Possess problem solving skills
- Competent with oral and written communications
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
- Possess a High School Diploma (4 Year College Degree Preferred).
- Possess at least five (5) years of construction industry experience in a lead or supervisory role.
- Possess basic computer knowledge and typing skills. Familiarity with all MS Office products. (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
- Familiar with use of Procore Software.
- Ability to comprehend and interpret instructions, short correspondence, and memos and ask clarifying questions to ensure understanding.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from clients, co-workers, interested parties, and/or supervisor.
- Ability to effectively present information to an internal group.
- Ability to work in a team environment and fit in with company culture and processes.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Good attention to detail with the ability to recognize discrepancies.
- Ability to understand and carry out general instructions in standard situations.
- Ability to solve problems in standard situations. Requires basic analytical skills.
- Ability to professionally operate in a fast-paced environment maintained by a company in a positive, controlled growth mode.
- Must possess an entrepreneurial spirit requiring the ability to be self motivated.
- Ability to work the hours required to support the schedule of the project.
- Must be able to meet deadlines and put in the time needed to get the job done.
- Must possess a strong work ethic and values that are above-reproach.
- Ability to recruit, hire, manage, and be promoted as company grows.
- Interest in the personal and professional growth obtained through involvement in extracurricular activities and team building.
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.